I Finally Left Bogotá
![]() |
| Waiting at the airport |
![]() |
| Taken only an hour after the first photo |
![]() |
| Alleyway of Umbrellas |
Woosh so that was kinda heavy, but still true and relevant. After taking lots of pictures all over, we went back home around 11, and crashed. The next morning the parents had their seminar, so they left super early and us girls stayed at the apartment all day. We spent a couple hours at the rooftop pool, but other than that we just slept and watched movies. Oh, and I took some really cool pictures of the sunset. After doing nothing for an entire day, the three of us plus Tami tried to make up for it by going out that night. First we got these massive ice cream sundaes for dinner, and afterwards ate sushi for dessert. It was pretty dope. And then we fell asleep to The Simpsons. Aaagain.
![]() |
| Post-Sushi |
On Friday we ate a big breakfast thanks to Nelsi, the wife of the dad of Tania. I'm just gonna take this opportunity to give her a shout out and thank her. She, plus their maid Liliana, took care and fed us so well the whole week. It's rare to find such a loving woman, and she really was so generous with us and always made sure we were comfortable. Love that lady.
After breakfast we went back to la Ciudad Amurallada and visited el Palacio de la Inquisición. Originally established in 1610, the Palace of Inquisition was where the catholic church used to torture and kill people, mostly Jews and the natives, for things like witchcraft and adultery. The building was used to hold captive, judge, and execute the convicted, and is now a museum on the history of Cartagena and human rights. It was pretty disturbing, but also educational and it's always good to be aware of history. There was a little courtyard that they were decorating for what looked like a wedding (Idk why anyone would want to be married where people used to be murdered, but to each their own), and I took this really morbid picture of a noose decorated in flowers. It's kind of aesthetic tho.
![]() |
| I just love this picture |
After leaving the museum, we bought coconuts from a vendor for drinking/eating, and set off for the castle/fortress, el Castillo de San Felipe. We wandered around a bit, drank some really good limeade, took some pictures, and overall had a good time. The castle had a bunch of tunnels running under it that we explored for a while, and I took a picture of a sign in the bathroom that I thought looked really weird. It was super hot outside so we didn't stick around too long. We then went to check out part of the wall, and we bought bracelets from a vendor. I bought several with shells and black coral, but my favorite was one strung with coffee beans, and even smells like coffee. It’s a rEaL bummer that I lost it a few days later. Go me. Afterwards we had lunch back at the apartment and went to visit the rest of Tania's family. Her mom and grandma used to live in Bogota, and we'd spend every Sunday with them, but a few months ago the great grandma moved back to Cartagena, and just last week the other grandma joined her. The g-grandma, Ana, is the funniest thing. 91 years old and sassy, and also really nice to me. Once Camila has her baby in July, there will be 5 generations alive in the family. Pretty whack. We had dinner, I met the aunts, uncles, and cousins, and we even played this game where you gamble coins by spinning this dreidel-lookin thing. That family is loads of fun. I especially liked their aunt Sandra (actually the sister of their grandma). Her personality reminded me of my grandma and they even have the same name. Once again, we came home late and fell asleep to the Simpsons.
![]() |
| On top of the castle |
![]() |
| Dinosaur women not permitted to make peace sign after tossing turtle in toilet |
![]() |
Saturday morning we ate breakfast early, and went to another beach in Boquilla. The grandmas and Aunt Sandra took a taxi and joined us there, and we spent the whole day at the ocean. It was so dope. We did all the classic beach things: swimming, burying each other in sand, getting extremely sunburned, eating mamoncillo (it's a fruit. really weird, really good.), and buying candy from vendors. We went to this beachside restaurant that set up a little canopy for us by the water, and we ate lunch by the seaside. I had a plate of coconut rice, filleted fish, avocado salad, and cazuela de mariscos, which is like a soup with all sorts of seafood. It sounds awful but it actually tasted really good. It included shrimp and a whole lobster which were delicious. It was so much food. Somehow I ate it all, although it took me like an hour. I got suuuper sunburned that day because I was stupid and only put sunblock on my face and shoulders. My back, chest, and stomach were all ketchup red, and hurt like heeeck. This made it really difficult to find a comfortable sleeping position, and really hard to find clothes that weren’t painful to wear. Whatever, it was karma for being dumb. You know, the worst part about it though? Now that my skin has healed and is mostly done peeling, I’m not even that much tanner than before. Real bummer dude.
![]() |
| Ana didn't help with the mermaid tail, but she wanted to be included |
![]() |
| Eating mamoncillo |
![]() |
| This is mostly how I got so sunburned |
On Sunday we went to church with the grandmas’ ward. I went to Relief Society, and I swear it was the longest church class I’ve ever sat through. I heard wasn’t the only one who felt that way either. We spent the rest of the afternoon we spent visiting Tania’s family and later lounging around the apartment. That night we went out for pizza and ice cream with Tania’s dad, stepmom, and half sister.
![]() |
| Church |
![]() |
| Waiting for our pizza |
Before going to bed, we packed our bags and got ready to leave the next morning to continue the rest of our vacation. I’m going to include that part in another post because this one is already long enough as it is, but it should be out soon. It was pretty awesome spending a week in Cartagena and being able to experience an entirely new part of Colombia. I’m also glad I’m back to writing these, It’s gratifying to not have given up on it, to say the least. Stay tuned for the next one, and stay chévere.

















I love hoarders! We watch it all the time! And I've seen it take you an hour to eat a cookie. I'm impressed you got through that whole seaside lunch in an hour.
ReplyDelete