Don't Read This One
Heyo check out that clickbait title. But really, this one is kinda boring so it's your choice. Luckily it's not as long as the others so you won't lose too much time if you do. Don't say I didn't warn you.
Alright, happy almost Halloween. The holiday is celebrated here, but I don’t know what I’m going to dress up as yet. So far, if they ask, I’ve told people I’ll be an American tourist, because it takes no effort on my part. We will see. In other news, I finished the first semester of English, so that’s two out of eight classes done. I guess that means I’m actually on track, because first term just ended in the states and I’m a fourth of the way done. Weird. I guess it just feels like I’m behind because I only spend like 6 hours a week on school. Maybe I’ll do core online next year too and get the same credit with half the work. Kinda goes to show how wack the school system is. Up next is Precalc, which I’ve been postponing for as long as I can. We’ll see how hard it is. English was WAY too easy (there were 2 whole lessons on how to spell and find the definition of words you don’t know) so I’m crossing my fingers that I get lucky twice. Hmm don’t really know what else to write about. Oh, I saw A Star Is Born this week at the theaters. It was pretty good, and I could actually understand a lot of the Spanish. A bunch of our classes were cancelled this week because the teachers were busy or something, so I’ve spent a lot of time watching Netflix in Spanish with English subtitles. It actually helps, and last night I had a headache after watching a few episodes of Limitless, so I guess that means it’s working? Speaking of which, the fact that they cancelled the show after one season makes me really sad and now there’s a void in my life that will never be filled. Thanks a lot CBS.
I guess I could touch on Colombian food while I’m at it, because I can’t think of much to write today. Well, it’s super different from Mexican food, so let’s clarify that right of the bat. We have homemade fruit juice with every meal, which tastes really good, buts it’s so much sugar. We also eat a lot of chicken and rice, soup, plantains, potatoes, arepas, and bread. It’s not bad at all, but it’s definitely different from what I’m used to. At first I was really into it, but I’m getting kind of tired of the same stuff. I just really want a bowl of curry or pot roast right about now. That’s not to say that we don’t eat other stuff too, it’s just not as often. I really like the empanadas, buñuelos, and desserts, but probably because we don’t eat them that much. Colombians eat so much, which I’m still not used to. I finally got up the courage to turn away food, because I hate feeling full all the time. I don’t know, it makes me feel tired and sick. I guess we’ve finally come to a mutual understanding that Andrya won’t die if she doesn’t take two servings at every meal, and I’ll eat as much as I want but no more and be fine.
![]() |
| Colombian baked goods. Buñuelos at the top left. |
Aha! Okay I just remembered something I can tell you. So last week a bunch of people were visiting for the day, so we were gonna mix it up a bit for lunch. We’re all hanging out outside when Carmen starts walking out with dishes of food. She sets a plate down in front of me and this giant fish is staring right back. Now, I do like seafood, but my American upbringing has not prepared me for this. That thing had these nasty little teeth and spiky fins, and it’s eyeballs were like melted into its brain. It was just whole fried fish, which I guess is a pretty typical Colombian food, but not typical for me. Here’s a picture so you know what I’m talking about.
| Pescado frito con arroz y patacón |
Hehe the only reason I included that bakery picture was so I don't have that nasty fish be the photo tagged with this post on the main page. Anyways, I get that this kind of thing is pretty normal in lots of places, but I can’t eat something if it’s watching do so. It’s the same thing with suckling pig. I like bacon, but if you put a whole pig with an apple in its mouth in front of me, I’m not touching it. I just stared at that fish and my mind was quickly made that I was not eating that today. Like, I’m all about trying new things, but I drew the line there. Just looking at it made me feel sick. I told them I didn’t want the fish, which confused them because it’s like a delicacy or whatever, but they gave it to someone else. I’m sure it was really delicious, in fact it did smell pretty good, but I’m sorry I just can’t. I stuck to my good ol’ rice and avocado, but my appetite was kind of ruined, so I didn’t even eat a lot of that. Anyways, there’s the story of when I was just too white to give Pescado Frito a chance; and no, I don’t regret it.
Let’s see… what else can we talk about? Um, I had to bear my testimony at church last week, and nobody told me beforehand. Are we even surprised anymore? The bishop literally was like, “K and now Andrya White is gonna bear her testimony for us, and then we’ll have a special musical number by...” So yeah, I gave the basic primary version in Spanish, and did my best to make it cohesive. (It was actually pretty good if I do say so myself.) Anyways, that was fun. A heads up would’ve been nice, but that just seems like how my life goes now. What else…
Alright I guess there’s nothing. This is the fastest I’ve ever finished one of these, and I gotta say I’m fairly impressed. Let me know how you like not having to read a whole novel about my life this week. Anyways, back to the point, Colombia is great and I hope you had a great fall break (hehe that kinda rhymes) and I’ll be back next week with some more interesting stories. Now I finish it up with my tacky closing line and tell you to stay chévere. Oh yeah, I guess a lot of you don’t even know what that means. It roughly translates to cool. The more you know…
Ok bye.

Comments
Post a Comment